Monday, November 16, 2020

The Reading of the 500

 This is not my first rodeo in Asia, so I have a few bull breaking techniques for starting the year.  However, this year, unpredictable as it is, started off with a tumble.  Joining class over a month into the first semester, I faced 17 different classrooms and encountered over 500 new faces. I had to hit the ground riding. 

On the suggestion of a colleague and inspired by the 7th grade curriculum book, I decided to introduce myself with a few postcards from home.  Here's a couple I used to introduce myself.  Each had a short text about the picture and what it represents for me.


These postcards were great prompts for where, who, what, how and even why questions!  Then (as any teacher would) I asked my students to return the favor with a postcard about their lives; and if they chose, more questions about me beyond my postcards.  Here are some highlights of what came back, along with amazing insights into their lives and language.


Language in action!  The errors don't even bother this teacher.



Images and explanations give me a glimpse into life in Zhubei and surrounding area even before I have time to travel!  Taiwan's blue butterflies, persimmons drying in the autumn sun and a pictorial exegesis of the national flag!



Some kids ran with this assignment and made works of art, revealing much more than just their names and hobbies!  I had to ask this boy all about the pictures he drew and his vast knowledge of Taiwan's fauna.

Reading and responding gave me the chance to recognize them individually.  I never tired of their questions and had a few myself in reply.



And a few cards made my heart swell to know... kids are growing up with love for family, learning and the strangers of the world that they chance to meet in this brief, beautiful life.



No comments:

Post a Comment