Saturday, February 6, 2021

Kumquats

Soleil and I are half way through a Ten-day Kumquat Challenge. We were recently gifted a generous supply of these cute little orange fruits. I'd tried them before but never enjoyed them. They are bitter, sour, and sweet all at once. Day one, according to Soleil, "Weird. It's weird eating the peel. The inside has too much fiber. Sometimes they taste like lemons."


So as I wondered what to do with our new piles of kumquat gold I searched the web for ideas and read that they are an acquired taste and that if you eat one a day for ten days you'll end up loving them. Apparently they are good for your health with vitamin C and antioxidants and all. Some days I have two in a day, so I can call myself an overachiever. 

I'm not addicted yet but Soleil is already worrying about how she'll survive when we run out.

I made some muffins with kumquats, yogurt and tiny chocolate chips. Eater one said, "Sensational!" Another eater said, "You could sell these at a café." The third eater said, "I'll have to make these again." There was no fourth eater. The muffins were all gone in a flash. 

So the muffins were a grand success. But the best I can say for the fruit itself (without added sugar and chocolate) is, "I don't hate them anymore." Five days to go.

Jenny


Kumquat Update
We ran out of kumquats around day eight. Blame that second batch of muffins, with ginger instead of chocolate. So we didn't get in the full ten days. But after a week without a single kumquat we bought some at the fruit store and are back on track. It's also pineapple season and we've consumed at least three of those recently. Tonight we had homemade carrot pineapple cake to celebrate Greg's birthday. Taiwan is a great place if you like fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment